Independent Living & Emancipated Youth Services

Any youth 16 and older in the agency’s custody will receive Independent Living (IL) services. If a youth is in the agency’s custody when they turn 18, or is between the ages of 18-21, and meet specific criteria, they are eligible to receive Emancipated Youth (EY) services.

To learn about the IL program, download our brochure.


IL Classes are held every Summer.  Please see our calendar of events for class schedule.


Emancipated Youth Services

Emancipated Youth services may include assistance in making referrals for necessary services or having more ongoing involvement with a WCCSB case worker. Please contact the Independent Living case worker at WCCSB to determine what services are right for you. You will be required to sign a Post-18 Agreement if you wish to work voluntarily with WCCSB.

Services Available for Emancipated Youth:

  • Academic support / Post-secondary educational support and financial assistance
  • Career Preparation
  • Employment/Vocational Assistance
  • Budgetary and Financial Assistance
  • Housing and Home Management
  • Health Education
  • Mentoring
  • Room and Board Financial Assistance

Wayne County Resources Available for Emancipated Youth:

  • Tri-County Educational Service Center ( / Contact Jeff at 330-345-6771) Tric-County offers a variety of services through their WIA youth programming, including credit recovery services, job training, and other related services.
  • Wayne County InfoLink ( / Dial 2-1-1 or 330-263-6363) 2-1-1 is a free community service you can use to get information about social, health and government resources 24 hours a day, every day. Simply dial 2-1-1 or browse the online directory below to find the resources you need.
  • Community Action of Wayne & Medina Counties ( / Phone: (330)264-8677)  “From child care to home repair, Community Action Wayne/Medina provides an environment of friendly customer service. The organization values collaboration and encourages staff, families and communities to work together to increase the availability of services to all low income residents. Community Action Wayne/Medina respects the diverse nature of families, staff and the communities we serve. We encourage continuous learning as a means of improving our services and the communities we serve.”
  • Wayne Metropolitan Housing Authority ( / 330-264-2727)  Can assist in locating and maintaining EY housing.

Statewide Resources Available for Emancipated Youth (EY)

  • OH-ETV funding is available for EYs looking to go to college. Certain criteria must be met in order to be eligible for financial assistance. Please visit and click on OHIO for more information.
  • Chaffee funding is available for EYs seeking financial assistance with any of the aforementioned services. Certain criteria must be met in order to be eligible for financial assistance. Please contact the IL case worker at WCCSB for more information.
  • Medicaid insurance is available for all EYs up to 21 years old. This insurance is free and is not based on income, though there is criteria for maintaining eligibility. The IL case worker at WCCSB can provide more information on applying for Medicaid.

More Information / Questions

If you would like additional information about the Independent Living and Emancipated Youth program, please click here.